A Brief History of St Mary Magdalene
In early 1897 construction of the Church was completed. The first service Evensong was held on April 4, 1897.
Bishop Perrin conducted the Consecration service the following year on April 17, 1898.
The Church today is the original, except for the installation of electrical lighting and heating. The Vestry was enlarged for additional storage and for staff changing. The old chimney has been taken down along with the original fireplace. The mantle was relocated to the rear of the Church where it now supports the original Altar Cross.
Warburton Pike, Explorer and Author, donated the land for Church. The original Rectory was the farmhouse of a Mr. Figg. It burned down in 1907 and was rebuilt by Canon Paddon and his sons. William Cain, of Galiano Island, made the oak furniture, revised the Reredos, carved the wall paneling. The present native oak prayer desk is his gift to the Church.
An early Church steeple Cross donated by Bud Bjornfelt and carved by Roy Ross, an Islander is now located on the ocean side of the church. “God and Ocean” are carved in Japanese characters on the Cross identifying the Church and its location adjacent to Active Pass in Miners Bay, Mayne Island, BC Canada.
See the following pages for a pictoral history of St Mary Magdalene on Mayne Island: