Minutes of Parish Council Meeting, June 16th. 2016.
Present:- Rev. Eric Partridge, Janet Guy, Pat Gasston, Lena Malmberg, Brendan Brown, David Bergmark Maureen Pearl.
Absent:-, Jim Moore, Jan Nicol-Mitchell, Renate Yeudall, Anita McCamley, Millie Leathers, M.J. Tiller-Weeks.
- Eric welcomed everyone and opened with a prayer and a reading from Psalm 27.
- Check-in – everyone seemed in good spirits if at times a little too busy
- The agenda was approved as circulated., seconded Maureen . Carried.
- Minutes of the last meeting as circulated were moved by Janet. Seconded Lena. Carried.
- Business arising – a) The prayer chain information has been posted on the web-site. A hand copy will be placed in church house. b) The cemetery committee has not met as yet.
- Rector’s Report. – a) Eric read the bishop’s letter announcing that he (the Bishop) was ending Eric’s tenure with our parish and was appointing him to the parish of St. Andrews in Sidney where he would be readily available should the Bishop need him at short notice. We were needless to say very stunned and upset at the news. His last service with us will be September 4th. 2016. b) Eric announced that from June 27th – 30th. a group of 6-10 young people, ages 12-16 yrs. and 7 adults from St George’s, Victoria will be visiting the island and they will be camping on the Church grounds and using Church House for breakfast. Pat offered to arrange a BBQ for the evening. c) On National Aboriginal Day John Aitkin will be at Felix Jack Park to talk about 1st Nations on the island. Eric moved his report. Seconded Pat. Carried.
- Rector’s Warden Report -a) Pat asked that Council approve the removal of people from the prayer list after a month . The names could go back on if still necessary. b) Mary Cooper had phoned Pat to ask if she could have a table re. water conservancy at the Church Fair. It was felt it would be difficult to say ‘no’ as other island groups have also had a table in the past. It would not be commercial or political so it was considered to be O.K c). The famous meat pies will be up in price this year.
- People’s Warden Report – see attached. a)The situation re. the Church and Church House keys will be tabled until Jim returns from holiday. b) It was asked as to how the funding for the driveway was going. This information was not available. Pat moved the adoption of the report on Jim’s behalf. Seconded Maureen. Carried.
- Treasurer’s Report. –attached. In September the $10,000 will come from the Diocese so the shortfall should be made up This report was tabled until Renate returns.
- Committee Reports. Eric was happy to support the idea of a service and picnic in Dinner Bay Park. On August 7th.. His concern was that some people might still turn up at Church. He also pointed out that any function like this should be passed through Parish Council for approval of funds complete with a plan and cost before a decision was made. b) Social Committee. – there was a concern that not enough people had offered food for the Lewis funeral. It was felt all would be well on the day. c) Maureen and Eric will meet regarding the Outreach committee. d) it was asked as to whether there was a need for several meetings or for everything to be under one umbrella to discuss suggestions. e) Communications. – Brendan said the website was going well and he is constantly adding to it. f) Welcoming Committee had met but felt there was not much more we could do than what we are doing now. It was suggested that Eric ask at the start of a service as to whether there are any visitors or new members in the congregation. Maureen put forward a motion to accept the reports. Seconded David. Carried.
- – ‘ Thank You’ cards from Mayne Island Assisted Living and the Vancouver Children’s Choir. .
- No new business.
Date of next meeting – July 21st at 1.0pm in Church House.